IMPORTANT NOTICE FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Some public housing tenants, residing in Transitional Housing properties, will receive a notification in the mail, with a warning regarding their heaters.
The Australian Gas Association and Energy Safe Victoria have suspended the certification for Pyrox / Vulcan 48 Series Space Heaters until further notice because tests indicate that under certain conditions these heaters can produce unsafe levels of carbon monoxide. Pictures of these heaters are below.
Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas that may affect your health if breathed in.
If you receive a letter or phone call regarding the heater at your property, please:
- DO NOT USE this gas space heater
- Call the special Housing hotline number on 1800 148 426 if you have an urgent need for alternative heating.
If you have one of the heaters in question at your home, the next steps will include an inspection of this gas heater in your property, which will be coordinated and arranged by the Department’s Housing Call Centre.
Please note that other gas appliances in your property are safe to continue to use.
For further information about using a gas heater safely go to the:
- Better Health Channel website at: betterhealth.vic.gov.au
- Energy Safe Victoria website at: esv.vic.gov.au
If you or anyone in your family is experiencing symptoms that may be due to carbon monoxide exposure, seek medical advice or call NURSE-ON-CALL on 1300 60 60 24.
If you do not understand this information please call 1800 148 426.